CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 26, 2011

I'm asking for your advice.

I usually avoid putting myself in situations where people will give me advice because I don't like advice.  However, I'm hoping some of you will have a little expertise to offer me on this one:

Have you ever flown with a toddler?  What did you do to make it bearable for your kiddo and for you?

In particular, I'm worried about take-off and landing (I feel reasonably capable of entertaining him and keeping him happy otherwise).  I flew several times with Ben when he was a baby and never had any trouble.  I was nursing then, though, so I just fed him at the beginning and end of each flight (the kid never refused to nurse, hungry or not).  We're past that stage now, but I think he's still too little to let him have a sucker on the flight.  Should I just give him a sippy cup and try to convince him to suck on it for a couple of minutes at a time?  I don't see that working, but I haven't come up with a better plan.  Help!  How do I keep his little ears from hurting too much?

I'm really jumping the gun here because we're not actually flying until this summer.  But I was thinking about it today and wanted to ask before I forgot :)  In case this matter to anyone, Ben will be 21 months old, and he will not be in his own seat.  I'm relishing this lap-child thing while I still can!

5 comments:

ashleyeilajackson said...

How will Ben fit on your lap in the third trimester? Just a thought :)

Micah said...

Daniel will be with us. As long as he doesn't gain too much sympathy weight, his lap should be available ;)

WigintonFamily said...

heh heh, i was going to suggest a sucker. (mother of the year!!) i'd just hold off on giving him a drink an hour or so before takeoff. then when you offer him the sippy cup as you take off, he will drink it. or a juice box. those things are disposable. then you can whip out another juice box at landing.

i bet he'll be fine! i always have trouble popping my ears. clark claims i have smaller than normal eustachian tubes. then for the rest of the day i can't hear.

how are your visitors doing? how is ben? and how is you?? and when are you flying to abilene?????

rachel said...

Since I have no children I'm not sure if you can do this. I have trouble (and always have)with popping my ears. I usually take a cold medicine beforehand to open up those tubes a little. Maybe that (if there is baby cold med) plus the juice box would help.

Candace York said...

Give him gum! It really does help with the popping.