CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 7, 2011

Crossing two more off the list

I'm a little (a lot) behind with this, but I crossed two more items off my 30 Before 30 list in January.  If you're keeping track, I have roughly 23 more to complete in the next three years.  Yikes.  I thought I was doing pretty well, but those numbers are rather daunting.

I don't think I've mentioned this here, but my darling husband Daniel is in school again to get his Doctor of Ministry (oooh! aaah!).  The program is set up differently from most school programs, and he does all of his reading/writing on his own and then spends one week on campus at the end of each semester.  In practical terms, this means he does some reading for several months -- and then does TONS of work in the last few weeks.  Those last few weeks are brutal for both of us.  When the hubby doesn't get a break from working, I don't get a break from the toddler (who is precious and wonderful... but sort of exhausting).

So when Daniel finished his semester in January, I decided that I should have a spa day.  Sounds fair, right?

I had already bought a Groupon to a local salon/spa called Serenity Springs.  I thought it sounded lovely, and their website made it seem lovely.  The reality of Serenity Springs?  Well, it wouldn't be my ideal place to have a spa day.  It feels a little strip-mallish.  But it was expensive enough even with the Groupon that I doubt I'll be paying for another spa day any time soon, so I'm counting this as a completed list item:

19. Spend a day at a spa.

I got a haircut, a massage, a facial, and a pedicure.  And I have no pictures to show for it.  Oops.  If anyone feels the need to sponsor me for a re-do on this one, I promise to take pictures.  Anyone?  Anyone??


The next finished item has plenty of photographic evidence:




23. Participate in the Great Fruitcake Toss in Manitou Springs

The Fruitcake Toss happens every January, and it is sort of hilarious.  The majority of participants, myself included, just line up and throw a fruitcake as far as they can.  Here's my throw:
At this point, my dad is surely hanging his head in shame because, um, that's not how you're supposed to look when you throw something with all your might.  I think that's how you look when you do the Charleston.  It goes without saying that my fruitcake did not fly the farthest.  I did, however, almost become famous because some reporter took a picture of me and wrote down my name.  Alas, I never saw myself in print, but here I am spelling my name for him very slowly:

I had some pretty awesome company at this little event.  My dad drove into town the very morning of the Toss, so he got to participate in the fun and help me keep Ben entertained.





And some of my very favorite people, the Slack family, also joined us.



The Slacks saved this post from being even lamer than it is by lending me their camera.  I discovered when we arrived at the event that my camera batteries were dead, so they shared their camera.  Which is why a handful of the pictures turned out like this:
Below my blurry finger, you can see some of the fancy contraptions other people use to compete in the Fruitcake Toss.  Some people really meant business, and they came with giant catapults and trebuchets to aid their tossing.  As previously stated, the Fruitcake Toss is hilarious.  I am so glad I put it on my list, and I will most certainly be going back in future years.


4 comments:

Megan said...

Fruitcake tosses are sooooo my types of events. Do you have to bring your own fruitcake? Or are they provided?

WigintonFamily said...

i see the reporter taking your picture as you so gracefully chunked your fruitcake. i too want to know if you purchased that fruitcake, or did some little old lady at your church give it to you, only to be horrified that you threw it away?

hollie marie said...

What school is your husband going to?? Mine has his MDiv and is looking into DMin programs... your husband sounds similar to mine! And I thought his masters/seminary schedule was stressful! Haha
-Hollie

Micah said...

We brought our own, self-purchased fruitcakes. Next time I'll know to start looking before early January -- they were hard to find at that point! The Fruitcake Toss website says they have a limited number available to rent, but I wasn't going to chance it :)