CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 21, 2010

To quote our president, "Let me be clear."

I went to a MOPS meeting at church this morning, and our speaker was fabulous.  She reminds me a lot of my own mom, in that she really seems to get it.  She has the wisdom and perspective that years of motherhood provide, but she in no way pretends to be an expert sprinkling her vast understanding on those of us who are too stupid to know things already.  

Something she said today, though, made me think about the way I have presented myself and my family on this blog lately.  She cautioned us to be careful about bragging on our children because the very trait you are so proud of may be something another mom is insecure about in her own child.  And since my very last post here was about how brilliant I think Ben is (and since I hate hate HATE the silent competition that seems to exist between moms), I just want to clear the air:

Yes, Ben is very verbal.  That's just where he excels.  But he is thirteen months old, and I don't think he'll be walking any time soon. 

And he is still way more clingy than a kid his age probably should be.  He cries A LOT every time I drop him off at the church nursery.  Sometimes he's still crying when I pick him up.  He usually wants me or Daniel close by even at home.  

He really doesn't like to be told "no."  If he doesn't flat-out ignore me, then he throws a fit about it.  There is a lot of crying in our house.  And I'm not even very good about sticking to my guns every time I tell him "no."

His sleeping is somewhat inconsistent.  Sometimes he wakes up at 8:30 in the morning, and sometimes he wakes up at 6:30.  I got so tired of guessing every day whether he would take good naps that I only put him down for an afternoon nap now.  He probably still needs the morning nap some days, but I know he'll be exhausted by the time 1:30 rolls around, and I can count on two hours of peace.  So in case I make myself seem like I have it all together on this blog, you can rest assured that I don't.

In fact, motherhood makes me feel more incompetent than anything else I have ever done.  And that includes teaching middle school, which I will freely admit kicked my butt.

I care way too much about what other people think of my mothering, too.  I come home from church crying most Sundays because of some off-hand comment that I took personally (Ben isn't walking because I carry him too much, I shouldn't be weaning him already, his crying makes the other kids in the nursery cry, I need to suck it up and stop worrying about him in the nursery, and on and on).  I wish I weren't so sensitive, but I am SO SENSITIVE about the job I'm doing as Ben's mom.

And sometimes I'm legitimately not doing a good job.  Like the times I forget to change his diaper for hours at a time and he ends up with diaper rash.  And I have to let him run around naked and he pees on things.


And maybe you missed it a couple of posts ago when I had to take him to the hospital because I let him play with a Tylenol bottle.  That should clear up any misconceptions that the Wiginton household is running like a dream.

I usually choose to post about the fun, happy things that happen around here because this blog is closest I'm ever going to get to a scrapbook (there's another area where I don't have it together).  Also, my natural tendency in life is to focus on the negative, so this blog helps me remind myself what an incredible gift it is to be Ben's mom.

So I hope you'll understand that what I post here is only part of our lives -- usually just the better part.

9 comments:

Megan said...

To use some middle school vernacular (just to make yo feel "at home") OMG!!! Micah, no one gave us an instructional manual to life, beyond the Bible. Most of us are not expert at it. So, we have to just be present in the moments and enjoy them for what they are. When we get to the end of our lives, we are not going to focus on the perfection of life. We will focus on those times that made us laugh, made us cry, made us goofy and crazy. I write this all as much for me as for you ... I struggle DAILY with the need to be perfect, and, so therefore, the desire to focus on the negative crap in my life. :)

You are doing a great job! :) Hug yourself since I'm too far away to do it for you.

MUUUUUUWWWAAAAHHHH!

Mollyanne said...

I feel like saying a big "ditto" to most everything you said in this post. I have been thinking a lot lately about comparison and how hard it is to avoid, especially as a mom.

Here is some potential encouragement:
- we go to a small church where lots of families are really into attachment parenting. I am THE ONLY person who let's my child stay in the nursery even when he cries. And he cries A LOT. So I totally empathize with the various nursery-related comments, mutterings, and looks of chastisement . But I still think he'll be better off in the long run so I continue to leave him there.
- my brother didn't walk until he wad 16 months old and my husband was 17.5 months. Ben will get it eventually. :)

I came to your site through the fb link and it won't let me go back in my comment to change anything. There are at least 2 typos I am annoyed to not be able to fix. That is all.

Ashley H. said...

I was 15 months old when I started walking. My mom said that I was too busy learning how to talk to care about walking. Then I got one of those things where you walk behind it and push it for Christmas and I guess I realized that I was going to have to learn how to walk if I wanted to play with my cool new toy.

On another note, although I don't have children to brag about and I don't have a blog, I very recently became concerned that my online persona is far too negative. I posted that I had a good day and someone responded, "about time." I don't think that person meant for it to sound negative, but it made me think, "I have good days all of the time; I just don't normally post about them." Then I was overly concerned about being to pessimistic. I love reading about how great things are going with Ben because it makes me think that when motherhood happens someday, even though I may occasionally leave an Advil bottle laying about (I don't take Tylenol), I'm going to be okay.

Jan Giles said...

Micah, my dear, you are a wonderful mommy and I have been EXACTLY where you are. We almost went to a different church after someone (who moved away soon after and had bratty kids!) made a remark about Noah being such a beast in the nursery. It hurts! Back then there were lots of days that were very, very hard as they thought Noah was autistic and I was dealing with unhappy transplanted teenagers as well. I needed hugs, not criticism. Ben is wonderful and will be running around before you know it. Brandon walked at 15 months, by the way! Hang in there, sweetie--you are doing a good job!

Anonymous said...

micah,

I was three before i started talking. (insert joke about me never stopping here)
One of my biggest strengths, language, was not a big part of my life until it was developed in high school. Dont freak out, all it does is add stress.

phil

p.s. i am in no way shape or form trying to give anyone the remote idea that i actually have any parenting skills whatsoever... just want to throw that disclaimer out there!

jaywalker said...

i like reading about the good things, so please don't stop posting about the better part. :) you do raise a good point that is valid for not only blogs, but also emails and letters and your persona at church - that is, who do we choose to be when we are in front of other moms? it's a little scary to see how we edit ourselves sometimes to appear like we have it all together. (that's not criticism of you, it's criticism of myself and other christian moms in general!)

you will find yourself doing a lot more editing when you have another child. because for everything good or bad you say about one child, the other one is there to soak it all in and become prideful or jealous. so enjoy bragging on ben while you can still do it. :)

Jessica said...

Ben is such a cutie - your posts always make me smile. Our little bit didn't walk until 16 months, and his vocabulary at 18 months currently consists of about 5 words: truck, light, mom, dad, and no-no-no-no-no. However, he can successfully climb on the table to find my purse, locate keys, turn the doorknob, head outside down the stairs, find the right key, unlock the car, open the door, climb in, and insert key. Luckily he cannot turn the key...yet :-)
-Jessica Matz

rachel said...

I love reading your blog and hearing you brag about your baby! I think all mommas should brag, every baby is special and unique and fabulous! Also, don't let other people get you down, no one is perfect and you appear to be doing a great job even with the ups and downs.

Love ya, Rachel

P.S. My brother drank a whole bottle of children's triamenic when he was little and he turned out fine :)

Holly Girl said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This is a fantastic post! Keep up the great work!