CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Molly Maid

First, a little back-story:  On Tuesday morning, Ben was playing in my room while I got ready.  I'm not in the habit of leaving medication on the floor, but there was a box of various medical-type things on the floor of my closet that day (Mistake #1).  Ben discovered a couple of pill bottles and decided they were fun shakers.  I saw they had child-proof caps and let him shake away (Mistake #2).  To avoid an inevitable meltdown, I let him continue to shake a bottle of Tylenol while he ate breakfast (Mistake #3).  Then I stopped thinking and left him alone in his highchair while I got my own breakfast.  Roughly two minutes later, I made the panicked realization that HE STILL HAD THE TYLENOL (Mistake #4).  Of course, he had managed to open the bottle.  Of course.

Based on my frantic forensic analysis, I was about 95% certain that he hadn't taken any pills.  However, when you call the pediatrician and they tell you that even one extra-strength Tylenol can kill your child, you do not rely on 95% certainty.  And it seems the only people who can determine if your child has taken Tylenol are the kind-but-not-so-efficient doctors at the ER.  So we spent Tuesday morning at the ER -- my patient husband, my slightly bored baby, and his mother who felt like the scum of the Earth.

Now that we have those minor details out of the way, let's discuss the real story here.  While attempting to entertain Ben at the ER, we took several walks down the halls, and Ben took a bizarre interest in the janitor's cart.  I pointed out the broom to him, and he latched right on to that.  He would point at the cart and yell, "Broom!" (pronounced "boom") - over and over and over - every time we went into the hall.

Then the next morning, I pulled out our broom, and it got the same reaction.


I thought it would be another couple of years before Ben would be good slave labor, but I have hit the baby jackpot with him.  Maybe I can teach him to clean a toilet before he learns how to use one!  Score!

 

7 comments:

Dawne C. said...

That's so cuuuuute! Way to go, little custodian :)

WigintonFamily said...

i love how you put a positive spin on this story. asher loves my swiffer. he swiffs with it every day - without the swiffer pad. and of course one day i tried putting a pad on there, and he fell cause it made the floor slick. but hey i tried!

Mackenzie said...

I love this so much! It also makes me miss you so much. Forget pharmacy school...i'm moving to CO Springs!

Aubrey said...

Ben and Davey would be such good friends! Davey is so curious about the broom, too. I definitely need to try giving it to him to sweep. And Davey is so into calling all circles "ball" that it warmed my heart to hear you say basically the exact same thing to Ben. How do you encourage them while telling them it's not really a ball? I dunno, but it helped to see you say the same things I do. Haha. I might have already mentioned, but... every time I show Davey these little videos of Ben, he is riveted and says, "baby!" over and over again. He loves watching Ben's adventures. (By the way, so sorry about the ER adventure. That must have been kinda tumultuous for you, momma! You seem to have handled it VERY well.)

Micah said...

Mackenzie, I don't even want to hear it. I tried to convince you to move here long ago, but you went and bought a house in Atlanta. My feelings are hurt, but I'll still let you visit.

Aubrey, I left out the part of the story where I made our triage nurse tell me stories to convince me I wasn't the worst mom in the world. And the part about how I cried like an idiot a couple of times. Ha! And I love that Davey and Ben have similar interests :) Because they are both geniuses, perhaps??

barclay said...

i've been babysitting the kiddos of a family in our church recently and their son BENnett ALSO loves brooms. i discovered this while sweeping up his Ritz cracker mess one day and accidentally running the broom over his feet, and apparently he thought that felt great. and then he got down on the floor and just swept away. i say they can never start too young...

Carissa said...

Maybe one day Ben will advance to the Vacuum! :)

http://blelmer.blogspot.com/2006/10/more-of-ethans-lovethe-vacuum.html