CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Nesting or neurosis? Tough to tell.

Several months ago, I made a month-by-month list of what I wanted to do to get our house ready for Benjamin's arrival. Basic stuff, like painting the nursery and reorganizing our closets so the one in nursery was actually available for baby paraphenalia. I did very well, thank you, at keeping pace with my list -- until sometime two weeks ago, when I suddenly couldn't stand the thought of having unfinished baby-preparedness projects and started working like a madwoman to finish the list a month ahead of schedule. I'm still not sure if I just haven't experienced much third-trimester fatigue or if my nesting instinct is a force my fatigue can't reckon with. Either way, the result is a nursery that is pretty much finished. Until I decide something else needs to be changed/rearranged and go on another psychotic frenzy.

What you see here involved:

-painting the nursery walls

-replacing the blinds

-recovering the lamp, after searching for all the necessary parts and eventually giving up and ghetto-rigging it (the harp is Duck-taped to the base, so I had to add fringe to cover that)

-purchasing absurd amounts of organization products from Target

-starting to make a cool quilt from scraps of fabrics used elsewhere in Ben's room (along with scraps I have from other projects), then cleverly folding said quilt so you can't tell in these pictures that it's not finished yet


-sewing the crib bedding (which really merits about 10 bullet points), with a LOT of help from a nice lady at church


-washing and organizing the billions of articles of clothing and blankets we have for this child (That open drawer? That would be his newborn to 3 month clothes only. I could probably get by with doing laundry about twice during his first months of post-womb life.)

-making some of the wall art you see here and just hanging the rest of it (Did you notice the Big Ben picture by the window? Get it??)

Okay, that's two pictureful posts in two days (by the way, you can click on any of the pictures to see more detail in them). Now get to commenting, people!

10 comments:

Dawne C. said...

WOW! You need to submit this to Martha Stewart or somebody- this is amazing! I made it to the enlarged picture of the closet before I teared up- not sure why that one got me. It all looks great. The changing table is SO nice- haven't seen one like that. Bedding, pictures, everything--- GREAT JOB, Mommy :)

Dyana said...

Hey Micah, you obviously inherited some of your grandmothers sewing talents! Sybil must be proud! Ben's room is adorable! I've commented to your mom about your blogs, and she informed me that I should reply to you...GREAT JOB!!!
Dyana "Woody" Coney

the winters said...

I LOVE baby Ben's nursery! The bedding is amazing and I love the lamp and his name on the wall. He is going to be so cute in all of those clothes! Fantastic job :)

Ashley H. said...

Big Ben on the wall! You crack me up. I love the cork board card holder. Where are all of the books?

WigintonFamily said...

oh my goodness! i am amazed at you! you made the bedding! crazy! where do you find the time/energy for this?! (and why can't i can't stop the exclamation marks!)

ya know, as a finishing touch, you should take down all your pictures off the walls, and drive them to another town in the middle of the night, spend a few days there (or a couple months). then drive them back - and rehang everything. and then remodel your basement.

okay i'll stop!

Micah said...

The books are there, Ashley! I promise! Some are on a shelf (which is sort of visible in one of the pictures) in a corner by the crib. Some are in baskets (which are not visible) beside the glider. And some haven't made it here from NLR yet :)

Melissa said...

hey Micah-

love your nursery! Mollyanne had a shower this weekend and I got to thinking of you because I'd heard you were also expecting. Congrats and seriously, LOVE the nursery!! Little boys are a ton of fun.

alisha herring said...

Hi Micah...this is Alisha Herring. I work with your mom. She turned me on to your blog and I love it! Your nursery is adorable! Your mom is so excited and so proud of your sewing abilities! Can't wait to see pics of that sweet baby boy! Boys are tons of fun and don't worry what others say...You make your own experiences and judge for yourself! You look great! Do you mind if I add your blog to my favorites on my blog? I kinda enjoy "stalking" (as your mom would say) other people's blogs! Ha!

Carissa said...

I think your neurosis was God telling you Ben was coming early! Congrats :)

Bluebird said...

Congrats Micah and Daniel. What a nice early surprise. Hope you're all enjoying life w/ Benjamin!
His nursery is SO CUTE! All of your nesting paid off well. I love his name pictures.