CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 8, 2010

Sneaking up on half a year

 
 My precious offspring, the reason you come to this blog, turned five months old last Tuesday.  At least a dozen times a day, I am struck by how much he has changed in five months.  Yes, I know that is an obvious, cliche thing to say, but for reals!  There is nothing quite like watching your baby figure out new things from one day to the next -- or even better, thinking back on what he was like as a newborn blob of baby and comparing that to the present.  Babies are amazing.

While Ben still doesn't have any particularly impressive skills (he's not speaking in complete sentences or walking... or even rolling over at this point... and he can only tell you the value of pi to the first five decimal places), he seems to become more and more aware of the world around him all the time.  Sometimes this is really funny.  Like the day he realized that Justin the Cat exists.
He really thinks Justin is cool and will squeal and wave his arms around when he's nearby.  He also likes to "pet" Justin, an act Justin will only tolerate for a few seconds because Ben ends up with fists full of cat hair.
 

One major part of growing up is, of course, growing.  I noticed yesterday that my arms look stronger from carrying that kid around because that kid is much bigger and totally over his initial runthood.  And he can fit into some clothing we have been excited to put on him:

This whole process of growing up has also reinforced that I don't really know what I'm doing as a parent.  And when I finally figure something out, Ben changes and forces me to figure him out all over again.  I'm slowly getting better about being okay with my cluelessness, and I'm really trying to enjoy even the areas of motherhood that I find the most frustrating.  And if that doesn't work, I cheer myself up by taking silly pictures of my child.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Ok, Micah, the look he's giving you in the last picture says it all! "Seriously, Mom. Seriously. You're really going to do this? And you'll probably pull this picture out when I'm dating and have a good laugh over it too, I suppose...*sigh*..."

I so want to see you all! I miss the three of you. Well, the two, and I still have one to meet!

Megan said...

LOVE, love, love the photos ... and the Justin reference. Since the kid has been born, poor Justin has lost his place on the blogging hierarchy. :) Can't believe the offspring is 5 months old. Time flies when you're having fun ... or so they tell me. :)

Brian said...

your mother has an outfit just like yours, and she's been wearing it for at least the last 24 hours, and i'm assuming at least one more day. send that boy back to me NOW! it appears you are making him wear shoes that don't fit, that you aren't changing his diaper frequently enough and that you are still taking staged pictures of him. didn't you just leave here a few days ago? how can he have grown that much?

Dawne C. said...

Ben looks SO big- and SO cute! Looking forward to pix of him eating carrots, bananas, etc. soon. We'll be there before you know it!

WigintonFamily said...

i spy target diapers! love them.

babies are amazing little pet humans. enjoy your time because the time just flies by for reals....

i had asher in some of samuel's old baby clothes and i wondered where the past 7 years went. seems like yesterday samuel was a baby.

asher just flopped on his wittle head. gotta run. plus he smells funny.

Unknown said...

Randal let me see this sight. It has been a long time since seeing Ben and it sure is great! He is truly amazing! He has a great smile. Nice toys and, of course great parents and friends! It is good to see him on the floor where he can practice his large muscles.
You tell him hello for mee, OK>