CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An update that uses actual words

  • This requires a post of its own (which I hereby vow to compose within the next week), but I crossed another item off my 30 Before 30 list!  Last Wednesday, Ben and I made a surprise visit to my parents in North Little Rock.  I think my parents were excited, but they kept commenting on how they wished Ben were a little bit cuter.  You can't please everyone, you know? 
  • Ben is hilarious.  I don't even know where to begin talking about the funny things he says and does these days.  Some of my favorites:  
    • He says he is "medium-sized" and that he is a "person" (not a baby, a girl, a monkey, etc.). 
    • He routinely says "Oh my!/Oh goodness!/Oh my goodness!" at appropriate times.
    • He likes to attempt to juggle.  
    • He loves girls of all ages (any female, including our 70-year-old cashier yesterday, is a girl to him) and points them out, sometimes creating awkward moments with strangers.  
    • I think he tries to plant subliminal messages in our heads -- sometimes he'll lean into me or Daniel and whisper "ice cweam" (or something equally delicious) while making a hopeful, mischievous face.  
    • He tells me to do things "differently" -- with the -ly at the end.
    • He randomly recites parts of books, even ones I didn't realized he liked.
  • The flip-side of all that cuteness:  he has started throwing impressive fits.  Usually about something very minor and illogical.  I haven't quite figured out the best way to handle him when these happen because he is usually a pretty logical kid, and I can reason with him to some degree.  Note:  I am NOT asking for your advice here -- I'm just being honest about what's going on in my household.  I'll gladly accept your commiseration or encouragement or prayers, but I'm not asking the Internet how to parent my child.  Yet ;)
  • As of today, I am 19 weeks pregnant with the child still known around here as Baby Moses.  I'm counting this as my halfway point because my doctor indicated that I'll probably deliver around 38 weeks (I don't think I've ever posted the story of Ben's delivery here, but he was kind of a booger, and after his extra-special surgical removal from my innards, I am not supposed to do the whole labor thing.  Like, at all.) 
  • We'll find out on May 16 if Moses is a boy or girl.  It's weird how differently I think about this pregnancy.  With Ben, I could barely wait to find out.  And I'm still plenty excited this time, and it will be fun to have a real name for the baby and start to prepare a little better, but I guess I think more this time about the baby at the END of this pregnancy.  In some ways, having Ben around makes me marvel more at this new baby -- because I see concrete evidence that what starts as a little baby inside me turns into an awesome little person outside me.  In other ways, Ben's presence is so very tangible that Baby Moses almost doesn't seem real yet.  I'm really not explaining this well, so I'll just add one more disjointed statement:  On a pretty regular basis, Daniel and I laugh about something Ben has done and say, "Can you believe we get to have another one of these?"  We're pretty excited for September.
  • I guess my belly has started sticking out more because I catch Ben looking at it and talking about Moses more often.  He tells me what Moses likes (today it was purple trees).  And yesterday he threw a ball (a very soft one) at my belly and said, "Toss it to Moses!"  We've read a couple of little books about baby siblings/big brothers, and he likes the idea of a baby in our family.  However, he is definitely still clueless about what it will really be like (I'm not sure I can process what it will be like!).  I'm gearing myself up for a tough adjustment period, but I am so thankful for both of my babies and can't wait to introduce them to each other!
  • This never, ever happens anymore, but I actually have something new going on in my own life.  Whoa.  I'm starting to volunteer at our crisis pregnancy center in town.  I'm in the middle of a 21-hour volunteer training right now, and despite how intense that seems, I am loving it.  After every training session, I come home more excited about being involved there.  I'll probably be working with their Life Steps program, which provides ongoing support/education for women who have decide to keep and parent their babies.
  • Anyone who has read this post deserves a reward.  So... Mom, let me know when you've read this, since I'm quite sure you're the only person who will make it this far :)

11 comments:

Erika said...

Hey! I made it to the end, too!! For my prize, I would like you to tell Ben's birth story. I always enjoy them more way after the fact, once I know it all turns out okay...since you both seem to be doing fine, it's a good time for me to hear it. :)

Hayley Harris said...

Micah, I am always so entertained and inspired by your posts on this blog! I know it's been forever since we've talked (oh, maybe just a tad after freshman year??), but with your incredible wit, adorable BEN, and the stories in between I always love hearing your Real Mothering point of view. Hopefully someday I will be as blessed as you to have a little one of my own, and I'll keep your down-to-earth stories and giggles as inspiration!

Mackenzie said...

I, for one, wouldn't mind if you posted a post this long every day.

ashleyeilajackson said...

I read the whole thing too :). I am excited to find out what you're having! :) People finally think that my belly is big too! Just the last few days, I had people I hadn't told ask if I was pregnant- yay!

Brian said...

ben really isn't very entertaining, maybe when he gets a little older we will like him more. maybe if you sent him back here for a while he would grow on us. several people beat me to the first comment, even though your mom let me have first shot at it.

Daniel said...

I already knew all of this (mostly), but I liked it too.

I'm almost added a short version of Ben's birth story here to fill in the blanks, but I'll wait until we talk about it before I put personal information about you on the internet.

Dawne C. said...

I was confused when I woke up Tuesday. Had to think for a minute to remember that no extra precious cargo was here :( THANK YOU for the wonderful surprise visit!
And I'm glad you finally put a few more funny Ben stories here. Keep 'em coming!

WigintonFamily said...

I always love Ben stories!! You could write a book of them, and make enough money off it to send him to college. Of course he'll probably get a full scholarship, but still. Amazing little thing.

I'm glad to hear you are volunteering at the pregnancy center. I think I may too, but not till school starts. (Did you know I volunteered there when I was in highschool??)

I am excited to hear the news on May 16th. I'm betting on a little sister. With curly red hair. And a face full of freckles.

rachel said...

I also made it all the way through. I find your stories very entertaining!

Jennifer said...

So what do I get as my reward? :) Love your blogs, Micah, and I cannot wait to hear what you are having!!! Don't hold us in suspence for too long. I second Erika, I want to hear Ben's birth story, too.

Henry said...

Wanted to let you know that I got to the end also... it's fun and encouraging reading about you being a mom - and neat that you and Ashley will have new ones at the same time!