CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Where has Ben been?

In general, Ben and I are homebodies.  I am quite content to stay holed up in my house for days, and, let's face it, Ben is pretty much stuck going (or not going) where I go.  But in the past couple of months, we have taken a break from our home-staying to travel all over the known universe. Or at least all over the country.

We started with a little jaunt to Daniel's parents' for Thanksgiving.


 
This was the first time we violated Ben's parole, taking him across the Colorado state line into (as you can see) New Mexico.



And then we hit up the Lone Star state.  This was our first road trip with a baby, and oh my did we ever learn a lot.  So we were much better prepared for all the miles we clocked on our Christmas journey.  An epic journey that included:


Kansas!  (My apologies for this terrible photo.  If you look at the sign on the overpass, you can confirm that we really did go to Kansas.)


And Oklahoma!  This is where the state-line picture thing fell apart because we crossed over into OK after dark.  But this picture with my great-aunt and uncle and their Tulsa license plate is a suitable substitute, no?


And then came Arkansas!


And Tennessee!  That would be the University if TN section of a Cracker Barrel, since we crossed this state line in the middle of a bridge over the Mississippi River.


And then Virginia!  Woot, woot!


And Kentucky!  (Yes, a gas station was the best we could do this time.)


And finally, Ohio!  Yay, buckeyes!  You are so very yummy :)

In case you lost track, Ben has been to 10 different states (when you count Colorado, which is not pictured here since it is his place of residence).  I have no idea how many road miles the little guy has traveled.  I do know that waaaay too many hours of his life have been spent in a car seat.  And just to keep things interesting, we threw in two separate journeys by plane:



Ben is a good traveling buddy, but I am super relieved to have our trips behind us and to revel in my homebodiness for a little while.  Many thanks to all of you who chauffeured us and gave us places to stay along the way.  We would love to return the favor and have you stay at our place sometime.  We'll be here :)

6 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so sad that I didn't know you were in Kentucky! I would have loved to have seen you all ... sniff, sniff.

Oh well ... whenever I come into the wealth and privilege that every teacher finds, I will be making my way to Colorado ... probably when Ben is driving and dating, but still ...

WigintonFamily said...

oh man is that little thing getting fat and cute! he looks different than he did at thanksgiving. more cheeks and head fat. cause that's all i can see from these pictures.

i am glad you survived. think how much fun it will be someday with two then three then four (or five)?! this is where jessica amazes me - flying around the planet with her kids alone.

we did a similar silly thing on our honeymoon. i made clark stop at each state line and take pictures. the three week road trip from texas to the tip of florida honeymoon!

we went to san antonio this weekend, and borrowed someone else's pack n play for asher. i learned that this is NOT a good idea for him who was miserable for two nights in his funny smelling bed. the first night, after many attempts at screaming in his bed, he slept with me, along with samuel and clark. the second night i got tough and forced him to cry it out for an HOUR. lesson learned. bring my own pack n play or at least my own sheets.

and while i'm writing the worlds longest comment, i might as well mention that clark has a week off in august where we just might show up at your door. or yellowstone (that would be so awesome). and you are of course welcome to visit anytime in our new house! i am getting excited. we close in 10 days. you can borrow either of my pack n plays but BYObaby-sheets.

Micah said...

Megan -- we were only sort of in Kentucky. Ben and I just drove through with a friend of mine, and we were trying to stay ahead of nasty weather. So I think we spent a total of two hours there, all on the road. BUT Daniel is probably starting a doctoral program in Louisville this summer, and he would be going there for a week twice a year. I'm hoping to tag along once or twice, and I will make SURE you know we're coming :)

And Stephanie -- BOO for strange smelling beds. I wondered how much that contributed to Ben's crappy sleeping habits while we were gone. That and the fact that he was sleeping in the same room as his food supply. But YAY for closing soon and maybe coming to visit us!

Mollyanne said...

I am so impressed at all your travels with Ben in tow. We turned down a beach trip last weekend because the 6 hour drive scared us so much.

And Hudson has the same outfit that Ben is wearing in the last picture. This made me strangely happy.

Dawne C. said...

This is the greatest post ever! What a traveling family. I miss my baby- and his mommy (and daddy :)

Brian said...

wait until you get my bill to thank me. i'm going to comp ben, but you're paying. i think you should tally the mileage in your spare time. i'll get you started: 950 from your house to mine, 350 to nashville, 125 to memphis and now you're on your own. good post, and now i wish we had taken a photo of the tennessee line as we drove under it.