CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Boy Wonder

DISCLAIMER:  This is going to be the sort of post that is really uninteresting to everyone except me.  And possibly my mom.  If you choose not to continue reading, you should at least enjoy this cute picture:



In the last few weeks, sweet baby Ben has magically started to get what spoken language is all about.  It's amazing (especially to a mother who may or may not be a language nerd)!
So far, his vocabulary includes:
  • ball - He says this one allllll the time now.  It started out as "bop," but now he says "baa" in a funny, nasal way.
  • cat - He pronounces it "dat," with special emphasis on the "t" at the end.  If he hears me or Daniel say something about the cat, he starts looking around for Justin and saying, "Dat?  Dat?"
  • meow - This one is particularly impressive to me because I didn't try to teach it to him.  He just started saying it (pronounced "mih-now") on his own.  He chased Justin yesterday while saying "mih-now" over and over.
  • no, no - Hmm... I wonder where he got that one?  He seems to be better at saying it to us than he is at obeying when we say it.  Little stinker.
  • uh-oh - Usually when he drops/throws something on the floor.
  • pat - He really loves to pat things (anything, really) and say, "Pat, pat, pat."
  • mama - My favorite, of course :)  Sometimes we'll be in the middle of playing, and he will point at me and say, "Mama."  But he is especially good at saying "Mama" when he is upset.  Often, he adds an extra syllable - "mamama."
  • bye-bye - His Southern roots come out with the pronunciation of this one.  It also takes him a little while to realize that it's appropriate to say bye.  He'll watch someone leave the room and then wave and tell them "bah-bah."
 Other language-related tricks include:
  • correctly answering the question, "Where is Mama's nose?"
  • clapping on command and when we say, "Yay!"
  • answering "aah, aah, aah" when I ask what any animal says
  • making valiant efforts to imitate any sound effects Daniel and I make with our mouths
  • obeying when I tell him to "pat, pat, pat" anything
  • laying his head on my shoulder (briefly) when I tell him to "love Mommy"
  • attempting to blow kisses -- he rarely gets all the components right, and sometimes when we blow a kiss to him, he makes the noise in this video:

6 comments:

Brian said...

not just to defy your disclaimer, i liked this post and found it riveting. since someone moved 33% of my grandsons too far away for him to be properly spoiled by his granddad someone has to fill the gap. sounds like you're doing ok so far, but i'll be there soon to show you how a professional does it. and after ben tells me bah-bah you can try to untrain him.

Gentry said...

Are you kidding me!? I had no idea that Ben was talking!! Wow.. I can't believe this! Wait 'til I tell his Uncle Clay, he is gonna be so proud!

P.S.- I found this post interesting too! Love getting to see {and hear} updates!

Dawne C. said...

Makes an SLP Nana SO proud! Way to go, Ben! Love the yodel :) Can't wait to see & hear him soon!!!

Megan said...

LOVE the mountain photo! Amazing scenery, and a great looking dude hanging out in the 'pack. :)

Erica said...

This SLP also found this post to be thrilling! Way to go Ben!

Mackenzie said...

I love this post! Anything about Ben is wonderful to read. Add in a cute picture AND a video, and you've created one of the greatest posts of all time.